Sunday, May 4, 2014

In Sickness and In Health


This past week Hailey has been feeling a bit ill. Yesterday she really wasn't feeling it, but went over to the beach to celebrate our little sisters' 7th birthday. We were planning on staying the night, but decided to cut the trip short, and head home.

She tossed and turned, and once kicked me trying to get comfortable, but with antibiotics, and even with a tub of sunscreen on her, she still got pretty burned on her legs. Last night, I was up thinking about how marriage vows really do play into married life, whether we notice it or not.

"In Sickness and In Health"

I took her to be my wife, and with those vows that I said, I promised to be there for her when she's healthy, or when she's down and sick. It isn't too hard to do, being there for someone when they're sick. Granted, this is nothing more than a small cold and some sinus issues, but I've heard older family friends of mine talk about how they have to take care of the kids, run the errands, make dinner, go to the meeting for work, etc. and their spouse is off in their world doing what they need to do for them. I'm not saying I'm not selfish, and I'm the worlds' best guy. But I actually enjoyed taking care of her. Running to CVS to pick up some NyQuil and cough drops, and grabbing a Jamba Juice C-Booster for her.

I know we're young and married, and older couples will probably say 'just wait, life hasn't fully kicked in yet'. They're probably right to a degree. But that view is cynical. It's not that positive and it doesn't make a good impression on me when I promised her to be there for her when she's sick, and when she's healthy.

Which leads me to another thing: Why is it so hard for married people to keep their promises? After all, the promises and vows they made get broken when divorce happens because of whatever reason, right? Is working hard at a relationship that much of a struggle? Or is it that people just aren't as willing to work for it when the going gets tough? Why do people end something they loved?

No comments:

Post a Comment