Tuesday, April 1, 2014

New Changes

Sitting here in this cozy little apartment, still with wedding gifts scattered around, curled up on the couch with my bride, catching up on The Following, and faintly, I hear drops. It's an unfamiliar sound, for sure, especially in this part of California. Bakersfield hardly, if ever, gets rain. But tonight, I mute the TV, and just listen. The drops start to increase. Slow at first, but faster and louder as they hit the concrete and small bushes just outside my door. Hailey's curled up and not paying attention to anything but the psycho-horror show we both love, so I stand and step outside for a moment.

That smell. It's not one I grew up with in the country. It's new. Warm, wet asphalt. Soaking up as much water as the dirt that once surrounded me as a kid. It's harder to breath in, but it smells great. Somehow, oddly refreshing. The alarm on my phone goes off, so instead of stepping inside, I take a quick walk to the small building in our apartment complex that houses the washers and dryers. A few minutes still left on the cycle, so I wait it out, still listening to the rain outside and the humming of the old dryers drying out our clothes.

These things are still new to me. Rain on the asphalt. Laundromats. And all of it now, is because of a new life I'm living with my wife. It's only been just over a week, but we're starting to acclimate to living together, and tonight with the rain in a dry county such as this, it's a good promise to me that new things are good, and can be a wonderful change of pace in life.

Now, the clothes are dry, and it's time to walk back through the rain and back to my wife. Back to the new changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment